We hope this message finds you well. As part of the recommended efforts at social distancing, the Friends Meeting House has closed until at least the end of March.
Starting immediately and continuing until at least the end of March, the Oxbow Zen Sunday morning meetings will connect us all *online* for meditation using a video platform. (We just did a quick test-run. A few technical recommendations below.)
Remember: Times of upheaval can be important times for practice. Let’s stay connected!
Sunday schedule for tomorrow:
- 8:00 AM: A link to a Google Hangouts video room will be emailed to this list. Connect early if you want to test your tech. You can point your camera wherever you like. It might be nice to get a visual sense of all the people sitting together.
- 8:15 AM: The Jikido (time keeper) will start the sit.
- 8:45 AM: The sit will end with Four Vows and Three Bows. (We can see how the chanting together works over video 😉 )
Right after this sit (8:50’ish), there’s an opportunity to connect for a check-in, to hear what’s going on with everybody. It’s a chance for connection in this time of social distancing. And also an opportunity to brainstorm opportunities for practicing together; e.g. additional evening sits, connect the online sits with sangha members at other Zendos, e.g. at the Hyannis Zendo or the New Paltz Zendo or the Village Zendo, etc. etc.
Everybody is invited to participate!
We can figure out a schedule for future Sunday sits at the check-in.
This email list can also serve as a path of connection. Every person on the list can post. If you have ideas, suggestions, concerns, etc. related to our evolving practice together, don’t hesitate to post and reach out!
Looking forward to practicing with all of you,
- For now, we’re using Google Hangouts (https://hangouts.google.com/). I suspect you might need some kind of Google login …
- The video link can open in a browser on your PC. There is also a “Google Hangouts” app for your phone.
- Connect early to test your tech.
- After connecting, you can mute/activate your microphone and your video camera using the controls that appear below the center of the screen. (Both start set to ON, I think.)
- For loudspeakers & microphones, make sure they are turned up just right and not redirected to a smart speaker somewhere. (e.g. turn off Bluetooth)
- For the conversation, please use head-phones to cut down on echo and feedback for everybody. I don’t think they are needed for the silent sit.
- … and a space for the traditional unexpected tech mishap …